29 Nov Manager, Safety/Security/Environmental (Old Town, ME)
ND Old Town LLC (Old Town), a wholly owned subsidiary of ND Paper, is a fully integrated northern unbleached softwood kraft market pulp mill, situated on over 100 acres in close proximity to Bangor, Maine’s second largest city. Existing capacity for the mill is 155,000 admt of premium northern softwood kraft; future capacity is targeted at 275,000 admt. The Old Town facility can produce 100% of its energy needs, using mostly green, renewable energy sources.
ND Paper, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nine Dragons Paper (Holdings) Limited, the largest containerboard producer in China and Asia, and a leading paper product manufacturer globally. ND Paper is an environmentally sustainable company that manufactures and distributes various types of pulp, paper and paper-based packaging materials at its mills in Rumford, Maine, Biron, Wisconsin, Fairmont, West Virginia and our newest facility in Old Town, Maine.
We are looking to hire top talent to join our dynamic team! We are currently seeking a Manager, Safety/Security/Environmental to lead the Old Town Mill towards World Class Safety and Environmental stewardship. This position is also responsible for the facility’s security and risk management functions.
ND Paper offers full benefits and a competitive compensation package.
- Establish safety and environmental policies and work practices for the Old Town Mill and ensure they are institutionalized throughout the facility
- Ensure the facility is compliant with all State, Federal and ND Paper rules and regulations for safety and environmental stewardship and sustainability
- Oversees and ensures all required operating permits are adequate and current
- Ensure all employees and contractors are properly trained and equipped to perform work safely; conducts safety orientation with all new employees
- Ensures the proper safety equipment is accessible to employees, in collaboration with Purchasing Manger
- Responds to all safety, environmental and security matters for the facility
- Ensures timely incident investigations on safety and environment related events; conducts incident investigation training with mill management
- Manages the mill’s clean production initiatives; network with ND Paper counterparts on implementing best practices, auditing, tracking, etc.
- Performs industrial hygiene function
- Manages all hazardous waste handling, storage and disposal
- Ensures the facility’s fire protection systems are adequate to cover the mills needs, functional, sustainable and compliant with regulations
- Responsible for risk management of the site for fire protection and security needs; is the point of contact for insurance related inspections, audits and needs
- Oversees the mill’s contracted security services
- Networks with other safety, environmental and security experts across ND Paper and participates in cross-divisional meetings and teams
- Ability to make decisions under pressure for situations affecting safety of personnel or equipment
- Ability to coach, mentor, lead and direct employees to meet stated objectives in regards to safety, clean production and environmental stewardship and sustainability
- Candidate must possess strong organizational, communication, problem solving and decision-making skills, as well as initiative and the ability to delegate decision making and other responsibilities
- Ability to handle multiple time sensitive projects and issues
- Committed to safety, clean production, environmental stewardship, and continuous improvement
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Safety, Industrial Hygiene or related filed, or equivalent experience in Safety and Environmental management
- Candidate must model ND Paper’s values and achieve results through safe and clean work practices, respect for people, minimal environmental impact, quality and customers first, and social responsibility