03 Jun Assistant Paper Machine Superintendent
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enhance the Biron safety culture by driving engagement and ownership in all programs throughout the organization.
- Promote the Environmental, Health and Safety guidelines by:
- Establishing programs to ensure that employees are trained to perform their jobs safely
- Ensuring employees’ performances are monitored daily with emphasis on elimination of unsafe acts
- Ensuring high standards of housekeeping are maintained.
- Work with maintenance to plan equipment downtimes to ensure efficient product flow through the paper machine lines.
- Monitor operations daily to ensure production goals are met including checking visual and physical characteristics of paper being produced and condition of operations, preventing or resolving problems and advising supervisors on required corrective actions.
- Produce and certify a product of the highest acceptable quality meeting all optical, visual, and testing standards, while minimizing energy consumption and environmental losses; utilize Continuous Improvement techniques where appropriate
- Help drive cost control and recommend improvements to efficiently and economically use all resources.
- Effectively work with suppliers and outside service groups to ensure highest levels of service and workmanship of the products and raw materials that we use.
- Supervise all production and quality activities for the line when on call for the weekend.
- Maintain harmonious relations with employees by administering contract provisions and company policies.
- Assist in new grade development and optimization.
- Assist in standard and budget setting for the annual and long-term plans.
- Possess ambulatory capabilities to move freely about the mill, ascend and descend ladders, and tolerate temperature extremes.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Be available 24 hours by way of home or cellular phone during scheduled on-call weeks.
- Work beyond normal work schedule as necessary to fulfill position responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in paper science, chemistry, or engineering plus at least 5 years of experience in paper manufacturing operations such as an assistant production superintendent and at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent leadership, management, problem solving and decision making skills
- Must be able to work effectively in a team-based atmosphere.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Maintain harmonious relations with employees by administering contract provisions and company policies
- Ability to encourage, guide, and direct others to improve performance
- Ability to reach a conclusion using relevant information and data and to determine the best course of action in a timeframe that is consistent with business requirements.
- Ability to utilize data analysis tools
Job Category: Manufacturing Process Production
Job Type: Full Time Salary
Job Location: Biron